Review: Eliza Rose by Lucy Worsley

Title: Eliza Rose
Author: Lucy Worsley
Publication Date: April 17th 2016
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens
Part of a Series?: No, Standalone!
I Got A Copy Through: Bloomsbury India (THANK YOU!)
Genres: Historical, YA, Comtemporary
Buy Links: Amazon IN || Amazon US || Amazon UK
Blurb Description: Eliza Rose Camperdowne is young and headstrong, but she knows her duty well. As the only daughter of a noble family, she must one day marry a man who is very grand and very rich.
But Fate has other plans. When Eliza becomes a maid of honour, she's drawn into the thrilling, treacherous court of Henry the Eighth . . .
Is her glamorous cousin Katherine Howard a friend or a rival?
And can a girl choose her own destiny in a world ruled by men?

As soon as I read the synopsis of Lucy Worsley’s Eliza Rose, it sounded AMAZING.

Truth be told, I didn’t know who Lucy Worsley was, until a kind Twitter soul whose name escapes my silly old mind enlightened me, and that simply got me more excited. An actual glimpse into the 14th century court life? BRING IT ON.

Unfortunately, as I sit now, all done and dusted with Eliza Rose’s story, I find myself with no strong emotions or opinions about the book, either good or bad. And, to be honest, I prefer being mad with a book over feeling next to nothing.

Which is not to say that I don’t like and dislike things about the book, but that my end result as I stare at that pretty cover is zilch. More aptly, I’m Switzerland about this book.

Eliza Rose is a coming of age (quite literally) and going beyond “the age” story about a girl called Eliza whose family is almost in ruin and the only thing that will save them is if she does her “duty”, marries rich and GETS ALL THE MONEY. Somehow, she gets called in to a glorified maid to the new queen of the British Empire and this is her story of life at court, growing up and love.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT ELIZA ROSE:
1.      
The Accuracy: Whatever said and done, this book maintained its historical and social accuracy throughout, and that was wonderful. I hate that sometimes historical books (like Ivory and Bone, an Ice Ag Era book had words like tents) but Eliza Rose maintained it beautifully.

2.       Eliza and Her Friends: I absolutely loved how Eliza had this honest rapport with her friends, and for about half the book loved this fearless girl with her fearless thoughts and her daredevil attitude in the constraints of the 16th century. WONDERFUL.

WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE ABOUT ELIZA ROSE:

1.       Eliza’s Voice: In the book, Eliza grows from 12 to over 20. I get having a child-like narration at twelve, I really do. I even have a journal from when I was 12 and I know what I sound like *cringe* but as I grew up, my voice in writing and telling stories got more mature, while even after she was older than 20, her voice still sounded like the same twelve year old, and that REALLY ANNOYED ME.

2.       The Drama Problem: There was this point in the middle of the book when absolutely nothing was happening except Eliza saying that court wasn’t at all the glamourous thing she expected it to be, that ruined it all, and even ALL THE DRAMA that happened later couldn’t pull me out of the funk of a middle that had nothing to it.

3.       Lack of Chemistry: Eliza and her love interest had ZERO CHEMISTRY to me. Every supposed interaction of theirs was just mentioned in passing, and while I could see what it was turning into, THERE WERE NO FEELINGS BEING FELT.


In summary, I’m Switzerland. No feelings at all. 3 stars.


What was the last historical fiction book you read? Any recommendation in YA? I don't come across much ACCURATE historical YA, and I would LOVE recommendations!

How much does chemistry way into your review rating? I've recently read books with little chemistry, and I can't give them more than a three stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment